BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

starting problems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

starting problems Empty
PostSubject: starting problems   starting problems Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:18 am

hello, ive just cobbled up another exhaust to go up and over . yesterday i had tried to start the bike up and after cranking it over for quite a while it finally fired up and coughed and splutterd a bit . this morning after putting some more fuel in i tried to start it up. the exhaust ive built isnt sealing quite right at the exhaust outlet and i noticed that there was a fair bit of unused fuel dripping out onto the floor. which didnt overly concern me so i carried on cranking it over.as it wouldnt start and the plug was wet but sparking i unscrewed the bolt under the crankcase and i was a bit taken back by the amount of fuel that spilled out. having let this drain out put back the bolt, i cranked it over and it fired up.is this somthing which should concern me . seemed quite a bit of fuel sloshing around in the crankcases.... scratch Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

starting problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting problems   starting problems Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 8:27 am

Hi Nobby,
It should concern you a lot!! you have a carb flooding problem and it is all running back into the cases through the inlet.
You need to fit a filter in the fuel line to avoid future problems and for now you will need to clean out the carb imaculately in the float needle area.
With new builds it is common to get bits of fibre glass and debris from the tank.
Cure the flooding and you will be OK! make sure the crankcase is clear until you develop some confidence in the carb! Too much fuel in the cases and you could get hydraulic lock which will be a mega damage disaster.
Good luck
Alan affraid
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
nigel breeze

nigel breeze

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2007-12-23

starting problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting problems   starting problems Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 am

alan, thanks for advice... your right ive not got a fuel filter in line, which is a bit stupid of me really. a friend made that remark to me some time ago and i didnt take heed.... i always learn the hard way pale
Back to top Go down
http://leginezeerb@hotmail.co.uk
Sponsored content

starting problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: starting problems   starting problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

starting problems
Page 1 of 1