BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

steel to steel clutch

Go down 
+3
alan
tonydavis
mark taylor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mark taylor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-08-13

steel to steel clutch Empty
PostSubject: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:17 am

Hi all,

I was woundering what is the reason for a steel to steel clutch? i'm sure it must be of some benefit! also what size should i make the slits?

regards Mark
Back to top Go down
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:27 pm

You can see some on Alan's old site

http://www.bsabantamracing.com/bantamracer/bantam_racer_3.htm

Some I have are drilled 5 mm and slotted with hacksaw, I think another lot I did with 1 or 1.5mm grinding disc and clamped about 5 or 6 together then de burred.

Someone will be along with detailed benefits of all steel clutch, remember burning out loads of the old surflex ones especially from Cadwell hairpin Shocked

Tony

ps You building a racer?
Back to top Go down
mark taylor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi Tony,

Yes i am building a bantam racer 175 with the BTW head and barrel (when I speak to Mr White), so far i've got a D7 engine and frame and the front end of the racer i think you built (No 256).
Its going slowly so far as unfortunately i don't have access to a lathe, so anything i need made or modified like the PVL mainshaft is going to prove costly! but apart from that it should be up and runing hopefully by the end of the year.

Regards Mark
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Mctay,
Not only the all steel clutch plates but to cope with the hammer you have to give it all, everyone uses 9 spring conversions and uprated springs, I even use extra assister springs in the middle of the uprated ones!
As Tony says sorting the steel plates is easy, I use the plates in soft form, but others have them hardened. It just means I need to empty the crap from the plates every meeting out of the gearbox and side panel, and use new oil.
To cope with the pressure you also need to modify the clutch mushroom to take a thrust washer as per the bantam racer articles, note from that period I now use a hardened washer against the top plate, and have expanded the thrust washer out to a 20mm diameter, and this is now trouble free. Just means you have to make a new shape of push mushroom to take it, so see the articles for further evidence!
Good luck with the build, and get to the practice day and meetings to see everyone!
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: clutching...!?   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Wow! Alan!
18 springs per clutch?! Could have done with that in my time -- every race at Cadwell meant new plates or springs... With Andy´s 250 ABS after a messy season of Albion cork clutch we went Greeves Silverstone clutch and that was marvellous... Wish now I could have had a couple more seasons on that 250 but ambition, status and money beckoned in Canada!
Have a good season...
JayBee for John-Boy!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
alan
Admin
alan

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi John,
It is a considerable clutch set up, but you need that with the torque these boys turn out! and best of all, I only get through one set of plates every two seasons, and really only change them for the sake of maintenance and reliability. the springs are thrown away every season regardless of what they are like!
I never get a clutch problem !! (now I have said that... sods law will set in!!)
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 am

I was wondering alan are you using a 3 or 4 plate cluch basket ? we are just about to rivet up our new pieces and was wonder which way to go,

some help or advice her would be good

or whats the theory behind using 3 against using a 4 plate baskets - anyone ?
Back to top Go down
BANTAMBUILDER

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-01-25

PostSubject: 175 CLUTCH   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:11 am

Hi,

I have just built a clutch for my 175 engine.
I have gone for small 3 speed clutch basket, 3 plates (less rotating mass), 9 springs and steel to steel plates.
I have fitted a band to the top of the basket to avoid having to use the tin top plate and its 3 little screws !
Push rod mushroom and thrust bearing have been modified to suit.
Hope it works !
Back to top Go down
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:28 am

bettsd wrote:
I was wondering alan are you using a 3 or 4 plate cluch basket ? we are just about to rivet up our new pieces and was wonder which way to go,

some help or advice her would be good

or whats the theory behind using 3 against using a 4 plate baskets - anyone ?

Hi Derek

From what I gather most if not all use 3 plate baskets, mine and Ray's both have 3 plate baskets.

Good luck with the build, catch up soon

Tony
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:25 am

Wow Tony Thanks you old war dog you ! great to hear a comment from you on this, "ok" three plate basket, but how many plates ?
and what centre spline should I be using, three / four or modified , as there's more room with steel. I want to try and get this right first time, I have used all steel before but not with the same success other people were having, I mean Alan Brown one clutch in two years !! wow.

I went to mallory to watch the practice, and Alan brown gives his clutch a heard time, incredible really I want mine to be this reliable.

I was wondering weather oils used had anything to do with this, anyone.!!!

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:13 am

Hi Derek,
You are right I do give my clutch a tough time!! the set up I use is as follows:

3 plate clutch body.
3 plate clutch centre.
4 steel plates outer driven.
4 steel plates inner driven made from surflex plates with surflex removed and slit as per articles in bantam racer pages.
9 springs uprated (buy them from me at Mallory!)
9 assister springs inside others.
Clutch push room made special to 20mm diameter end and has a flat thrust washer and a plain hardened washer against the top pressure plate. The mushroom has a 5 mm centre boss that sticks through the pressure plate and stops the thrust washer from being dislodged.
I try to use simple and common to obtain parts as much as possible. Plus I do not harden the plates. the oil is cheap supermarket oil as the fancy stuff causes the clutch to slip!! as Nick has just found out!!! Rolling Eyes But be sure to change the oil every meeting without fail as the soft plates do leave a lot of swarf, and clean up the plates with the grinder every half season to get best results.
You too can have a clutch like mine! go for it.... cheers
Good luck and go well see you all at Mallory
Alan
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi chaps,
my set up is close to Alans & i use the later centre hub with the 2 thrust washers & needle roller bearing, i think this is the 4 speed hub.remember to get the primary chain alignment spot on if you have a crank youve built.Carefull use of oil to as i found to my cost at Mallory.Tested new btw reed valve motor in my ex ted smith bike with continuous clutch slip & pinned it down to oil type! good luck with the builds. Nick
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Burning clutches   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:02 am

Hi Alan!
I wish I´d had that knowledge in 1968...
I loved that circuit but I remember Cadwell with the burning smell of a suffering clutch.
When riding Andy´s 250 in 1972 I complained about the Albion cork cluch slipping and dragging. That was at the end the season. The latter caused bad starts because by the time I bumped the saddle the dragging clutch had turned engine which always brought the piston up to compression.
Wonderful bloke Andy Boyle. He went down to Greeves place, near Canvey Island(?) and bought a Silverstone Clutch the difference was phenomonel.
Have a good season!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steel to steel clutch   steel to steel clutch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steel to steel clutch
Page 1 of 1