BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Old programmes

Go down 
+6
DavidK
ptibbitt125
bennion
alan
john bass
Mick Jones
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:30 am

Love the old progs on the site, great memories. I only just realised i was 3rd in the champ race at Debden(9th overall as it was a mixed 125 race), June 78, beating Webster and Dodkins on one of Ted's bikes. First time i rode it, i only turned up to watch as i lived over the road but had my leathers handy "just in case". Ted offered me a ride in the champ race and i jumped aboard, great bike i remember. Anyone got the first meeting 78 prog, Snett in March, one of my best days on a banty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 am

Sorry Mick! after my time.
But remember, Will Shakespeare who never got to ride a bike much less race one said, "Nostalgia is the whore of memory."
I wonder, if he had got to race a pukka racing Bantam what his comments might have been, something like, "Cor! the force of the Bantam is somewhat more frightening than the horse..."
I know -- I know -- that is a load of old codswallop but we never get race reports on here, except for a scrappy comment or two so what about it for 2011? I´d really like to see more than points scored and DNF & DNS ... ?

Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi John,
I agree about the race reports... however there is no one that isn't already occupied that will do them at this moment. We had plenty of offers at the meeting at the end of 2009, but not a single report came out during 2010.
It goes to show that those who are racing should not really do reports as they are just too busy!!
I did a few reports previous to 2009 but it gets a bit too much when you are working full time and want to race as well, plus I do the web site and points table (badly). So if you are offering to do some race reports for us then anything you do will be brilliant.
Failing that can anyone do something with race reporting?? Please.... and email it to me for uploading to the main site.
Hopeful.
Alan scratch
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Mick Jones wrote:
Love the old progs on the site, great memories. I only just realised i was 3rd in the champ race at Debden(9th overall as it was a mixed 125 race), June 78, beating Webster and Dodkins on one of Ted's bikes. First time i rode it, i only turned up to watch as i lived over the road but had my leathers handy "just in case". Ted offered me a ride in the champ race and i jumped aboard, great bike i remember. Anyone got the first meeting 78 prog, Snett in March, one of my best days on a banty Very Happy

Hi Mick

Glad you like the old programmes. I'm currently scanning from my collection of marked up Cadwell programmes and will follow these with Snetterton and Llandow for forwarding to Alan. The programmes were marked up by the North West gang's waifs, strays and assorted followers. Operating the pair of manual stopwatches was usually my sister Lin's preserve. Plenty more nostalgia on the way....

For further delectation, I might even get to scan some of the more scandalous BRC magazine articles and comments ! study

Chris
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 am

Thanks Alan!
Better not mention GOD (Good Old Days) times then...

That was when Peter Tibbitts had long, gangly hair and served the BRC Committee members beer upstairs in the Hoop & Grapes (??? was it?) at Holborn (I think?) and the girl with a wide belt (as pretence of a min-skirt) had the poor fellow all of a tizzy.

We had over 650 members at around that time. Of course they weren´t all Bantam fanatics but it was OUR Bantam Racing Club and we served the purpose for those would be stars on exotic Japanese machines and the BITZA racers to have a go. Our race programmes catered for quite a number of classes and some of wrecks that appeared in the 1000cc All comers were really comical. I remember seeing an awful looking great heap of a thing rushing around in practice at Snetterton and went to the Chief Scrutineer of the day and suggested he review it again with me there. The owner was most annoyed. But we could find nothing wrong -- it just looked as if it had been dragged off a rubbish tip with a few bits of kitchenware added. It actually claimed a couple of second places that day and vividly remembered is its cocky rider giving me "two-fingers-up-you " as he returned to the Pits...
Before he got himself a Bantam the Wobblyman´s 500 Triumph was a sight for a scrutineer´s sore eyes. Hand painted tank and split seat taped up but he gave some of the 1000s´ a good run for 3rd & 4th places.

Better stop before nostalgia grips me by the throat or some other place,
Cheers!
JayBee for John-Boy.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
alan
Admin
alan

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Lots more programs added!!
Many thanks to Chris for the efforts in scanning this batch in!
Enjoy!! Alan
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: march 1978   Old programmes Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Mick,

Just read of your request for a March 78 BRC programme for Snett. Should have one if I kept it, as that was the last time I raced my TZ Yamahas, in front of a prospective sponsor. But plans didnt work out....sold them both by mid 1978. In the open 1000cc races I was beaten into 2nd place by a young Keith Huewen! Happy days.....
Back to top Go down
DavidK

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-12-13

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 am

Ive just had a brilliant half hour looking at the old programmes posted.
It brings back memorys of helping out with the club when i stopped racing in the late 80s. Some of the names are like blasts from the past.
David Kingsnorth
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I remember the name of Dave Kingsnorth! Hope you are well and keep dropping in on the web site to read the info on there which gets updated as often as possible!
Any old programs that you may have that are not included on the site can be scanned and added into the list, so if you have one then please contact me through this forum and I will sort it out with you.
Happy reading
Alan Brown
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 6:22 am

Shocked Help, I've been checking out the programmes and can't get my head around something. 1977 Debden i was 6th in the novice on Mick Bridges ill fitting bike, same day I bought Roger Abbots bike for £150. My first outing was the 50 miler coming second in the novice to colin Hall after missing a gear on the last lap. Next meeting Cadwell, won the novice etc. Now if you look at the programmes, after Debden it's Cadwell then Snett, either i'm going nuts or somethings wrong here, please help, can't sleep. Laughing
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Mr. Bennion provided the programs, If they are dated incorrectly I am sure he will be able to sort that out!
Thanks for the comments Mick, I will talk to him and see if the dates are out of sync...
Cheers,
Alan
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 am

The programmes currently on the web site are from race meetings I attended that have survived various house moves. They are in no way a complete record of BRC meetings. I think there was an additional meeting at Cadwell in 1977, on the 1.3 mile circuit, that I did not attend. There must be loads more from the 1970s or even 1960s tucked away in attics somewhere - Pete, Ned, Brian ??? Mike - have you any 1980s and 1990s programmes hidden away?

Chris
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:23 am

Chris I've got loads circa 1980 to 2010 some years more than others- some only a few... the sticking point is don't have scanner etc ... going to drop some off (not to many) with Alan and possible you? if your willing?

Are you coming to the Dinner and Dance ?
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 am

bennion wrote:

Pete, Ned, Brian ??? Mike - have you any 1980s and 1990s programmes

I'm pretty sure I have some old mags in the loft not sure about programs !
And if I'm not in front of you or in the first three I don't want you to see them. Laughing
Jokes aside I will have a look. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Cheers Ned, the reason i'm confused is that at the bottom of the Debden 77 programme it lists future meetings, Cadwell first then the 50 miler, then Lydden. Now i know for a fact that I went to the 50 Miler before I went to Cadwell. Also, the Cadwell results don't have any mention of my win in the Novice or my name at all. You must remember the meeting Ned, when we bashed into each other at the hairpin in an Inter race.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 am

Chris bringing some programmes for you to the dinner something like 1982,86,96,2005 just to be going on with....
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 7:50 am

Chris thanks for text...

Had a look through my historical backlog and thought programmes from 1981 to 2010 (1,2 each year) may mean there's something for everyone distant past to present. There's the 2 Lydden parade years 05,10 also Issues 231 and 249of the BRC mag and the Bantam Racers mag 'Push Start' 3 issues spring, summer, xmas 88 ( Ithink thats the complete set?)

Also put all of the 1996 season programmes -coz I think this was the 'seminal' season for Bantams - Rebirth after certain extinction and all that!! Year 1 with BHR.....
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 am

Mike has very kindly loaned me an absolute treasure chest of BRC and BHR programmes for scanning. What I was never aware of is just how rapidly the Bantam grid size shrunk during the early 80s. From boom time in the 1970s with ultra competitive Novice, Intermediate and Senior grade races to very small grids in short and long stroke categories within a few years makes sobering reading. The historical interest of these programmes is such that I shall be scanning their entire contents for our web site.

These will take some time to process, but I've already made a start and shall be forwarding to Alan soon.

Chris
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Excellent Chris... Glad you are scanning all content as it's interesting seeing who was racing other things in different classes.. e.g. Pete Tibbits on TZ's Mick Potter on MZ's etc..

Interesting Programmes Watton 81 Gerry Daine on a bantam! and also the Brands Hatch 82 (Brands Racing Combine) full grid of Bantams!

Alan on the Programme front - Snetterton 50 milers 1980 and 89 are the wrong way round!!
Found 1980 good as brother Rick won the Novice and then the Inter enduro in the same afternoon!
Brings back happy memories...
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:16 am

Ned was well known for bashing'(into) people, sounds like you got off lightly.

I noticed to some of the programms that, I know I was there, Im not in the program ? I always useto get my entries in on time Like Peter ? I was in the que woth NED ! I think some of pages MUST BE mixed up, no worries, its a massive task.

DEREK
Back to top Go down
DavidK

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-12-13

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 am

The demise of the old Bantam club can be seen in the programmes.The many new classes that were introduced to keep the club going sich as MZ and scooters only held of the enevitable for a few years, eventualy the club combined with the Clubmans Racing Club.
The last few seasons were underwritten by the Clubmans RC, if my memory serves me right about 1996 was the last season before we were swallowed up entirely and as i felt that the Bantam club had lost its identity i decided to call it a day after starting in 1969 as a novice rider on a plunger framed bantam flat out at 70 miles an hour. I switched to two fiftys but loved racing with the BRC,along with The Racing 50 club,BFRC,it formed the backbone of my racing. as i finished racing i eventually became Clerk of the Course, enjoying the challange of running Bantam Club meetings with a great team of enthusiasts
Back to top Go down
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 9:25 am

Heartbreaking reading, my name appears on several occasions that I know for sure I never got anywhere near the track mainly due to our old man (as it transpires he never had a car license) so wouldn't hire a van when the car broke down. There's also a story on another thread of us heading to Lydden but ended doing a lap round Trafalger Sq Shocked only to return back up North. Think he let us do a few laps round the Melbourne Loop at Donno before we got arsed off by security Twisted Evil

Tony

on the plus side entry fees were only about £5-10 hence I used to enter loads in advance then pray for transport resolutions Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:39 am

To Dave kNorth - picture this a young 16 year old, second bantam race meeting, long stroke lager std flywheels, horse shoe packing rings todd head CR box from Bernnies of watford, I was late for practice just managing to get out, but it stopped on back straight ran back with the bike via road (ned fit see)into circuit, just got back fitted a new plug cap - the other one disappeared comming out of sears, anyway a real panic to sort for the last practice, now I was recieveing final call, and when rushing back to the collecting area, Dkingsnorth stepped in my way as I was entering the collection area going a little quicker than one should, i grabbed a hand full and dropped it in the gate entrance, Dave checked me ok, then preceeded to bollock me, up hill and down dale, his final parting words, and make sure you get that re scrutineered before you go back out, which I did, my dad was not impressed either I always blaime you Dave and avoided him like the plaig on race days as I always believed he was bad luck for me.

we still keep in regular contact with Criss Jane and the family.

REGDS Derek Betts
Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Can anyone help me with some detective work here. In 77 i went across the road from my old mans pub to check out the Debden meeting, borrowed Mick Bridges bike and got a 6th in the novice. I bought Roger Abbotts bike from him at the circuit and proceeded to fettle it for the 50 miler. Snett, 2nd by a whisker to Colin Hall in the novice, gassed it on the line for the inter. The next meeting was Cadwell, won the novice by a country mile from Ted and John Pearce. Had a wrestling match with Ned at the hairpin in the inter, we both rejoined last, i battled through to 4th in front of Elaine Gillingham. After that it was a dismal Debden for me and a very successful last meet at Lydden. Now all this is from memory and as I havn't started dribbling yet, I can safely assume is correct. Looking in the programmes on the site you'll see the Debden meet where I was 6th, all good so far. On the last page you'll see dates for forthcoming meetings. Now the tricky bit, it lists Cadwell first, then the 50 miler, then Debden and lastly Lydden. I know for a fact that the next meeting I attended was the 50 miler, then Cadwell. Now look at the Cadwell programme complete with pencilled in results, i'm not even entered. This leads me to believe that the first Cadwell was too soon for me to enter so i concentrated on the 50 miler to be my next meet and that an extra Cadwell was slotted in between the 50 miler and the next Debden. I'd love an answer to this because Cadwell was my first win which makes it even more vivid in my memory. Ned!!! you remember the coming together mate, any thoughts on this? Cheers in expectation. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 am

great post Mick, you still racing ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old programmes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old programmes   Old programmes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old programmes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next