BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gearbox pic's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Gearbox pic's Empty
PostSubject: Gearbox pic's   Gearbox pic's Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 6:08 am

Derek can you repost on here brians 3 speed cluster pics again pls...

What I've noticed with this method of using all road gears you can make a pretty decent c/r cluster
that gives some differences to the std c/r box - that is if my maths in right??

Std c/r gears for bottom gear is 28(driven) over(divide) 19(driver) = 1.47
times output pair 24(driven) over 23(driver) = 1.04 = 1.53 to 1
Std c/r gears for 2nd 25 over 22 = 1.136
times Output pair 24 over 23 = 1.04 = 1.182 to 1

Or to put it another way Top 1:1 Second 1:1.182 Bottom 1:1.53
Or another way (1divided 1=) 1 Top. (1divided 1.182=) 0.85 Second. (1 divided 1.53=) 0.65 Bottom.

Now assume in do 100mph at 12k with a std c/r box then in the gears you should have 85mph 12k 2nd and 65mph 12k 1st

With counting and guesstimating gears in pic I reckon ratio are Top 1.1 second 0.78 bottom 0.46 now if the bottom gears were changed from 28/19 to 26/21 bottom would be 0.54....

Which is nearly the same as running a c/r box with snell output pair... quite a usable box!!

Mike
Back to top Go down

Gearbox pic's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox pic's   Gearbox pic's Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 6:29 am

Steve Frayne runs one of the converted boxes and has been doing so for a few years with no major issues, that said he did swap the output pair back to a CR set I believe as he found the gap from 2 to 3 a little wide.

Its certainly a route worth taking if you cant find a CR box as they do seem to come up less often these days
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Gearbox pic's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox pic's   Gearbox pic's Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am

Hi James think Steve has a more conventional box where the two sliding gears have not been swapped over as
in the pic which shows a layshaft slider on the main shaft and vice versa, notice also the 'flag' becoming 'two flags' on the selector....

Brian is a clever chap....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gearbox pic's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gearbox pic's   Gearbox pic's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gearbox pic's
Page 1 of 1