BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

question for Nick Bramley

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

question for Nick Bramley Empty
PostSubject: question for Nick Bramley   question for Nick Bramley Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 1:27 am

Hi Nick

I understand from Peters Circa Ramblings they he too prefers the surflex type clutch arrangement, or he useto.

could you elaborate on, I will give the reasons why Iask this at the end.

1) are you still running surflex
2) if so what oil type/make are you running.

the reason I ask this is three fold,

a) im not sure im running the correct oil in my cluch that burnt out two new plates at cadwell, while I would never have used an all metal I was forced to at some point in the past I certainly dont or hardly slip the clutch, only off the start,

b) you are just lightening off the start, can not remeber Peter having such super fast starts as you were having.

c) I desire to beat you or at least a few others, so if I can sort this out, I will be able to run a much taller gear, than Im able to get off the line im sure without distroying the cluch "start of the race.!

what do you think could you divulge such information.

also Im trying Rex Gaunt's new batches of super clutch Friction plates they apparently have a much higher heat threshold and bite whist slipping, they contain Kevlar amongst other exotic's, I will be trying these out at Snetterton, keep you posted.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Are fast starts all about the clutch ?    question for Nick Bramley Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 7:19 am

Evening Derek,
The anwser to your question is yes i still run surflex plates.
Engine oil is no secret either, castrol EP80/90 .I have tried special oil with an all steel clutch the oil being so good i had continual clutch slip.
I ran Rexs clutch plates last season with minimal wear but obviously wear rate differs from circuit to circuit and rider operation.
I have found both types very durable with improved feel over the metal set up.
Rob is still on the fibre plates to but he uses a different oil which i believe is a silkalene product.
The fast starts are to do with a launch control system i have been developing.
I cant believe no one commented on it after cadwell.
All the best Nick.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: question for Nick Bramley   question for Nick Bramley Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi Nick many thanks for the information!!!,

Hmm "Launch control" just a few questions on this, I think its fine as long as its
1) made available to everyone !.
2) it can be proven "No power" advantage !.

really sounds like a "wind up", But actually, we have tryied our own launch control system, before I stopped racing whilst sprinting, ref the large bulge on the outside of my clutch cover "Only Mick scutt picked this up some time ago",

Anyway, our set up was simpe, a centrifugal arrangement with an electronic actuator, that as the revs rise released small tapers that incresed the spring presure as the revs rise, (dad made it it looks like a large whatch straped to the back of the clutch) it was a bit of a balancing act, but it worked, I was thinking of trying it again, problem is the cost of the carbon carbon clutch plates, we made them but the material was given too us for free.? so I had to purchase the new stuff, lets see how I get on, anyway getting the electronics to talk to the rear wheel sensor is where it's won or lost. it also generates loads of heat, but not as much as a metal clutch, and only really works in first gear! turning it into a semi automatic setup - to about 6,500 to 7,000 rpm. dependant on gearing.

But many thanks for that - lets have a compare notes session at snetterton without prying eye's over a cup of tea!.

I ran EP80/90, at Cadwell in a 50/50 mixed multigrade, thinner oil, not sure this works either, I think your either telling porkies or it may just be the "extra weight" my bike is carrying - now thats another debate we should be having.

May be Rob would at some point like to share his findings on development on the cluch oil "with us". !
perhaps if not now in the future, I would be very interested in seeing what others are working on on this subject I just dont like the all metal arrangement do doubt they work but my goodness all those metal fillings running round the poor g-box/chain.

k-rgds Derek
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: question for Nick Bramley   question for Nick Bramley Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm

HI all
In the brown camp soon to be b&b racing we use two lunch controls 1 mc donalds type the other K F C type to stop the back wheel spinning up how bout you Nick K F C ??? lol!
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: question for Nick Bramley   question for Nick Bramley Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

sorry Rob F.C ?

and the name B&B Racing is already taken . ?

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question for Nick Bramley   question for Nick Bramley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question for Nick Bramley
Page 1 of 1