BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Tuned Length

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
les2012

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-12-15

The Tuned Length Empty
PostSubject: The Tuned Length   The Tuned Length Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 4:33 am

Hi All,
We all know what we mean by the tuned length for an expansion chamber and probably have different formulae for same, I for one used the Graham Bell paper for many years " albeit out of date" but it gave me a good starting point to work from.
Now the question I ask is, can anyone out there in Bantam land tell me the exact point at which the positive wave will reach in the baffle cone before returning back up the pipe in order to plug the exhaust. Mr Bell says it is half way of the total length of the cone before cutting the tail pipe diameter, the paper from Lukes Racing Engines 20/10/2014 says " The sound wave traveling down the pipe bounces off the baffle cone and returns to the exhaust port ect" but at what point is what I want to know.
I think JB's idea for an adjustable centre section a good one, could save a lot of cutting and suck it and see.
Anyway I'm ready to learn if you have the answer.

Happy new year and success in your quest for victory.

Les2012.

Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

The Tuned Length Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tuned Length   The Tuned Length Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 5:01 am

Les,
Go to page 10 on the forum, click on "Pipe Design" the formula for t/l and a lot more is there for you to look at!
Leave Bell in his era, technology has moved on since then.

Trevor
Back to top Go down

The Tuned Length
Page 1 of 1