BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

checking port timings

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mikerwt

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2015-08-28

checking port timings Empty
PostSubject: checking port timings   checking port timings Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:19 am

Dumb question for all you wise men when checking port timings do you use the piston crown or top ring?
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: checking port timings   checking port timings Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:42 am

The piston crown edge for exhaust and transfer ports and the rear piston skirt for inlet ports.
Back to top Go down
mikerwt

PostSubject: port timing   checking port timings Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 9:44 am

Thank you Trevor I will double check my readings but it looks like I have some wild timings (inherited) compared with those on the forum and tuning book,I will put them up and you can tell me if I'm wasting my time.
Back to top Go down
mikerwt

PostSubject: port timings   checking port timings Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Trevor
hope this is not a case of over experimentation by previous owner? the timings I have are as follows set with a dial gauge for TDC and a degree disc fixed to crank and a pointer set to zero to start. ex opens 97ATDC transfer opens at 117ATDC inlet opens 87.5ABDC clockwise rotation (.001 feeler gauge in port)?????
Back to top Go down
Trevor Amos

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: checking port timings   checking port timings Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 9:20 am

Mikewt,
Before we get too far into port timings, could you let me have dimensions for both stroke and con-rod centre lengths please. If the engine is a standard Bantam, the lengths will be 58mm and 125mm respectively. Variations of any combination of stroke and rod length for a 125 capacity produce different port heights for similar timings, and this can affect suitable choices.
Be assured about your current timings, they are very far from being in the category of "over experimentation" and seem quite modest!

Trevor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: checking port timings   checking port timings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

checking port timings
Page 1 of 1