BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

George Harris

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ol' iron wheels

ol' iron wheels

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2006-12-30

George Harris Empty
PostSubject: George Harris   George Harris Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 6:56 am

George Harris - Engineer, Bantam tuner, and Bindy creator died today. He formed the Western Centre back in the Sixties and ran race meetings at Llandow. He will be well remembered by many Bantam and 125 riders from the 60', 70s, and 80's for his generosity, kindness, and sense of humour.
Great to have known you George.
The service is on Friday, 2nd July, at Westerleigh Crematorium, Westerleigh Road, Westerleigh, Bristol BS37 8QP at 12.30pm.

Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

George Harris Empty
PostSubject: George Harris RIP   George Harris Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 12:17 am

Dave,

Thanks for posting this - you beat me to it! Very sad to learn of George's passing. I've very fond memories of the early-mid 70's when the SW centre was at its zenith. I've got some photos taken at a SW Centre reunion some 5 or so years ago, will try to scan them in.

One memory I have was popping round to see George when I was working on site in the bristol area, circa 1976. George was studying a very large and complicated blueprint on his lounge floor. It wasnt for a world beating 125 engine, but another - the RB engine out of the Hawker Harrier "jump jet". Apparently, and if my memory is correct, George was a special investigator with Rolls Royce, and had the responsibility of investgating causes of failure in these engines. Another side to a very capable man.

Perhaps Bassy will be along shortly to add more?

Pete Tibbitts
Back to top Go down

George Harris
Page 1 of 1