BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Empty
PostSubject: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 10:29 am

Going through some old bike magazines I came across a copy of 'Road Racer' magazine (Nov 88) and an article inside called 'East meets West' which talks about and Bantam Club and the running of MZ races. There's a bit about Bantams and I quote :-

"Peter Tibbetts, a 36-year-old Ford test engineer meanwhile puts his expertise into his Bantam. After starting racing with the club in 1971, he deserted to race 250 and 350 TZs for three years. He now has the quickest Bantam around, capable of lapping Snetterton in 1m 25.75sec. His aircooled engine is based on D7 crankcases, running a Yamaha YZ125 piston, conrod and reed valve and breathing through a 34mm Mikuni carburettor. It runs a three-speed gearbox as required by the rules.

Will he race MZs? "They're a bit too agricultural for me. I'm thinking of watercooling my Bantam so that I can compete with 125 riders like Dave Bowman on the EMC"

Any news Pete! how's your watercooled motor coming on ??
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 pm

I thought my water cooled motor was late due to not being able to get into workshop but now I dont feel so bad. The only thing is Peter won the championship on a bike he wanted to replace that long ago, now I feel bad again.
There are people trying to make Bantams go quicker out there, but we all know the problems more power brings, a well sorted bike & good rider are still what you need to win (well done again Peter). So this is why we should all try to get some of the older Bantams that are stuck in corners of garages out on track. Young riders and more senior riders can win races on bikes that need little work and not a lot of money spent on them, but you will have to seek them out and talk the owners into selling them or loaning them to you. All you racing Bantam owners that for one reason or other do not use them please let's see them out with someone on board YOU COULD BE CHAMPION IN 2011.
SMIFFY
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 8:29 am

Well said Ted!

Will we see Mick Potter out on your 175 then? Should be a good show down with Robbie and Snowy(doing more rounds this year!)

Bikes in the shed? Steve Panter, Tim and Sam Partington are you coming out? lending or selling??

Lets get them on track.....
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 am

The bike is there if he can find the money! The position I am in it is dificult to make to many plans but I plan to do 1000 Bikes this year with TZ & Bantam I can't get my doctor to give me a medical this year as I am still on chemo. THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD RACING BANTAMES IN GARAGES THAT SHOULD BE OUT THRER.
SMIFFY.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 am

Glad your Bantam will but out at the festival!!
Back to top Go down
Tim Partington

Tim Partington

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 am

Hi Mike,

I have a bit of a health issue to get sorted at present......but once that is sorted and we have sold the house, moved on to our boat etc: we may well be having an outing or two.
Sam is now the wrong side of 13st and 6' 3" so we will be giving you more "compact" guys a bit of an advantage Wink
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 12, 2011 6:07 am

Well thats good news!! hope to see you both out on track. Ref Sam - Handlebar extentions and move seat Back!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....   Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quote from P.Tibbitts 1988.....
Page 1 of 1