BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dimbo Brick

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Newbie   Newbie Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 10:51 am

Well I guess the best way to start is by wishing you all well.

I never raced but organised some of the BRC meetings in the late 60's.I followed Val Johnston who by that time had married Barry Messer,as Competition Secretary.I held this post for about 2 years,but serious courtship put an end to this.
I seem to recall running a Cadwell Park meeting as late as about 1970 as an emergency stopgap,with fiancee in tow!

In those days,as stated in a previous post,the BRC Committee meetings were held at the Hoop & Grapes in Farringdon Street just to the south of Holborn Viaduct.The Committee members that I do remember were Roy Bacon,Beryl Launchbury,Rex Boyer,Geoff Pitcher and myself.That was probably not all,but it's as I recall.As I didn't drive I would cadge a lift from Geoff to Balham and then get the train the few stops home.As I remember Geoff had a Mini Auto,which would have been quite advanced around 68ish.As most,if not all,the BRC Rules were set by that stage I seem to remember we spent much time sourcing pistons and racing rings.

Very sadly,with family and mortgage,I lost touch with many friends and colleagues.

It was with great sadness that I read of the passing of John Sawer.John was probably a contempory of another Brunel/BRC member in Eric Theobald.Tragically Eric,a South East member, was killed in a taxi crash in Belgium? around 1968 whilst returning from a work assignment.

A recent poster posed a question about marshals and timekeepers fees.I was quite close to one of our regular timekeepers and when I asked a similar question his answer was that he stung the International and National meetings so he could keep his fees to the BRC at a minimum.Cheap racing.

Kind Regards,
Dave Kinch.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1