BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Water cooling know-how

Go down 
+4
Derek
mjpowell
john bass
Tim Cornish
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 am

Hi John and Tim, yep i must have been one of the biggest guys out there, 6'4" and 12.5 stone on a long stroke, air cooled bantam with it's bore at the end of it's life. Saying that, I won quite a bit and diced for 3rd in a championship race at Snetterton. I just rode the skin off the poor little thing. In comparison 250's were a lot easier and of course when i ended up on the F1 Yoshimura Kawasaki, i at least had a bike that my size was more compatible with. Believe me, if you want a stress free ride, 4 stroke is the way to go, that Kwacker had more torque than a tractor, bloody fast but easy to ride.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 5:31 am

Hi John and Mike,

As for my weight John, I am, since last Wednesday, 11.46 stone. Embarassed and that's without leathers, etc!

As for the bike, I'm going for a 70's/modern bike i.e. Amal 376 carb, which came today! But with some modern touches Wink Simple things that can make a bike reliable are the key.

Have a good evening,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sport-Pics

Sport-Pics

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2006-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 am

Tony, to answer your first question, in my view, Omega and Alpha, Arrow etc all that lot are OK to use! Most people they would be utter useless but to me, they're as good as Japanese internals (maybe even better in some cases).

Tim, there are probably only 30 or so racing Bantams in the World in use today, none of which would use an Alpha rod as a carrot would have more strength. You would be wise to heed the experience of others who have been racing these bikes for longer than you have been on this planet!

Just to add, the porting outline for the W/C barrel was taken off one of George Todd's blue-printed, winning engines.

What part of the sixties was that then?

*NOTE* I will not be rushing this. I am taking my time as slowly as possible as to get the benefit out of using the information, materials etc I have for my learning and expertise.

Since I have limited money, plus nearly at the end of my tether with it, I won't be finished for a very long time.....

If you have a limited amount of money, don't waste it by not listening to others. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and you choose to ignore it. As Robbie has said, it takes a lot of time and money just to leave your house not to be broken down on the first lap of practice.

Plus, importantly, I don't get to take any photos of you Laughing

Rusty
Back to top Go down
http://www.sport-pics.co.uk
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 8:47 pm

I honestly thought it was one of the old guard on a wind up Russ lol!

He's been on a here nearly a year with nearly 200 posts, been to a meeting and been given loads of good advice then ends up wanting to build a D1 barreled water cooled with alpha, omega internals, fueled by a 376 amal and he's a competitive rider though only rode a std bantam up a lane confused

In dragons den style

I'm out

Still I wish you good luck Tim maybe stick with the RG500
Back to top Go down
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 pm

mjpowell wrote:
Tony , Ian had an unsuccessful water cooled motor about 4 years ago and yes generally all w/c motors are ancient my 001 cylinder and 002-Chris Bennion (ex001 6transfer!!) are circa mid seventies 004-Phil Betty(ex002 Tom's first reed valve) 1983, but Nick Bramleys w/c is a new(08?) copy of the Colin Hall championship winning motor of 1989.
Easy option - Air-cooled BTW.
Interesting option - water-cooled - only for the brave, fool-hardy daft!!
Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for filling in the gaps, that's then one I was on about as I see said tuner at sprints and heard about that one. Who's built Nick's new motor? be interested in a detailed history of all the successful W/C bantams. I built mine when I was about 19 had access to some engineering equip but limited know how (apart from tuning manual, it was a secret society back then), used original ports as didn't know you could cut ports off and braze new ones on. As a consequence of this I broke through inlet and the re brazing distorted barrel also the crank was never spot on. From memory I ran TZ rod and piston and amal mk11 was a big learning curve but then lost my job an had to pack it in.

Good luck with the new motors, I will be out at some stage with a short stroke air cooled 125 Wink

Tony

ps On another note I 've heard we have something in common, 748 Very Happy you done any track days on it?
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 8:28 am

Russell and Tony, most people would say I am daft for doing such a rare but performance boosting mod to my bike, and that's why I'm experimenting with it. I still have my air-cooled barrel and gear from before but I like to try new things...so does everyone. No need to patronise me for my actions...

Russell, I know there are lots of information which I am taking in and using!
I've spoken to a number of people, like you said, and decided not to use Omega pistons but just YZ and RM types. Alot cheaper and reliable like you said.

Thank you for the information John, Mike, Tony and a bit of Russell have given me. This will help me a good deal with the conversion. Just to add, I will be coming to Mallory on 5th April so see you all there..!

I'm off, Tra.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 am

*update* plus I have changed my setup since hearing that Alpha Bearings have gone bust. Possible use now an RD400 rod described in the original Bantam racer articles by Alan.
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Daft?   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I wouldn´t say you are daft Tim to go for what you think is best.

-- perhaps we ( MC racers ) all are -- or were...

...just get out there and show them!!

All the very best in your endeavours.
Cheers!
John-Boy.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: PS...   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Alpha gone bust!?
The ABS of Andy Boyle (I borrowed in `72-3) was Alpha engined -- the Alpha firm made the whole engine -- as Andy is replicating now. I´ve got a photo of me sitting on his GP-5 as of last September -- the `Alpha´ engine of which, Andy made from scratch -- all castings included.
Cheers!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 pm

yes John, unfortunately they have gone bust!? Shocked I heard from a friend they went bust a few weeks ago and people have had trouble receiving their products they bought which did not come in the post. Arrow also do good con rods, well very good con rods but extremely expensive! £500 for a Ducati rod... Embarassed

Though still turning to the 50.5 X 56 approach Laughing

Do you still have your old Banty? Or is it somewhere unknown..

Tim
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Tim...   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 am

Hi Tim!
I went to Germany in June, 1974, on the "North American penetration project" for KHD Cologne and in Oct `75 to start work in Canada.During that period, I was backwards and forwards to Blighty and I gave Icarus-One Bantam to Colin Aldridge -- The Wobbleyman -- or, it might be, he just took it ...? and I gave Icarus-Two*** to the BRC club... Don´t know whether they were ever used as racers or broken up... Perhaps someone knows...?
Came over from Canada early in `76 and practiced with the track spare at Hackney Wick speedway stadium -- so who´s crazy?? daft at 47 to practice Dirt Track, ey...?!
Grass track was more fun than road racing. One could make a lot more mistakes with grass -- and walk away -- where the road requires much more precision in thought and deed. Plus road racing demanded proper tyres for the job.... Dunlop Triangulars came in and lasted 3 seasons.
***Icarus-2 --- was mostly experimental and with a low-centre-point of steering it handled most peculiarly so if Wobbleyman had anything to do with it, that Bantam definitely got broken up....
Point of interest concerning Icarus-One was that the frame was cad-plated. Maybe that would identify its existence now???
Try to remember the formula for the force-of-gravity when your body-mass is accelerating towards the centre of the earth -- oooh!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 am

Ah seems a good time then. I have alot of grasstrack clubs around here. Went to one about 3 weeks ago. Was very good fun apart from the marshals at the start! They were sprayed with flying mud every time riders accelerated off the starting line! Laughing

Though at the back there were some little gems Wink Old Jawa and J.A.P grasstrack racers. Covered in chrome. Ahh now that's how I like my classic bikes! Cool

Will upload pictures in a min- Photobucket takes so long now! Surprised

My Olympus camera (film not digital!), which I took alot more photos with, I think I used just over 2 cartridges worth, still needs to be sent off for developing... Alot neater photos of classic grasstrack..!

Tra and have a good evening,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 am

Water cooling know-how - Page 2 DSC04637

Water cooling know-how - Page 2 DSC04638

Water cooling know-how - Page 2 DSC04640

These pictures are of cheap quality but the Olympus is alot better. Hope to get a new camera soon. cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:11 am

Whats the latest no the water cooled project Tim? Any closer? I've a new water cooled motor coming soon? I hope...... and getting excited about that. But then of course i've testing and development to do, so may not get as many race finishes as last year....
Mike
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Hi Tim!   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:14 am

Hey Tim they (those pics) are really sweetness & light!
How I´d love to get my leg over... Look too clean though!??
I can imagine them sliding broadside on...
Wish I could send pics -- can´t get the hang of it on my new (fell off a lorry) computer. I´d send some of High Wycome where I was clocked at 99.8mph at the end of the straight. Unfortunately Don Godden was 101 and Tatum at 102mph.... That was me using the Enfield JAP 500 ... known as The Jelly machine -- it wobbled, even in a staright line...!
But it is one hell of a thrill to have both wheels sliding out in the right hand bend just after that fastest point. Sort of feeling one must get in those American Dirt Track series where the bikes have no brakes like Brit Speedway but faster...
Actually -- and surprising fact -- I had both Bantam wheels sliding at Thruxton when it rained on a curve whose name is well forgotten, felt like sitting on the edge of a gramophone record -- angled over -- waiting for something to happen. Year ? `68 I think.
All the best,
Cheers!
JayBee.
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:11 am

Hi John & Mike,

Nothing much so far on the Bantam build. Upgraded facilities a bit more. I asked my Head of Design & Technology last week about the Bantam. Turns out he had one! He said I can use the CNC's, lathes etc so that will probably boost my build a bit further.

Forks are still in the waiting. Shame Will doesn't check his emails often... RD200 forks with yokes with spacers in the tubes. Some rims and the Yamaha front wheel+disc will come with that. That's probably all I need so far to make a rolling chassis.

had a chat with the owner of Bournemouth Bantams, he gave me a bit more information. Lots of nice bikes there, plus he's in constant touch with George Todd. Smile

Mike, I think a number of people are out on water-coolers this season? is that just you and Nick so far? Doubt I will but I'm committing to going to Mallory next month and hopefully Lydden. Might go visit Dave Brasier at Aberdare but I'm not sure of that so far...

Have a good evening,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water cooling know-how   Water cooling know-how - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water cooling know-how
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2