BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel injection or Ram air....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Fuel injection or Ram air.... Empty
PostSubject: Fuel injection or Ram air....   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 7:13 pm

A couple of pic's from the South East centre archive (thanks Les)..

Fuel injection -

Fuel injection or Ram air.... April2011015

Ram air bantam style -

Fuel injection or Ram air.... April2011016

Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Fuel injection or Ram air....   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 pm

WALL FILLIPS FUEL INJECTOR /CARB

MONOBLOCK

HARDLY RAM AIR mIKE !"SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF HOT AIR TO ME" ! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tim Cornish

Tim Cornish

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Fuel injection or Ram air....   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Nice photos Mike. On the subject of ram air I was thinking of a system where you drill two holes in the fairing, then make a sort of flange up which 2 insulation pipes will be secured with Jubilee clips. Then screw the flanges with the pipes attached to it through the fairing, and glass fibre it over. Then you have a sort of ram-air-type cooling system. One pipe can go to the carb and the other pipe can go to the head/barrel etc. I could do you a drawing if needs must lol..

T
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Ram Air or Hot Air?   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:26 am

Racer, name of Bostock -- Harry, I think -- had the cylinder head with his SpeedTwin(?) Triumph reversed, fitted back to front.
An article in The Motorcycle (the Blue `Un) said Mr Bostock was quite disappointed with the performance and commented
that "... perhaps the air currents from the rotating mass of the front wheel caused eddies around the carbs that in effect reversed the ram-effect."
Tricky in the rain I´d think? but then everything is...
The Exhaust Ejector however, did work -- but hardly enough performance to justify the increase in weight addition ....
Cheers!
JayBee for John-Boy.
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Wal Phillips "Injector"   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Can´t let this go by, unanswered. The Wal Phillips device was really a carburettor less float chamber.
Rather crude but worked very well when properly tuned.
There was no question of "injecting" except if you allow that the fuel was `injected into the mixing
tube by the pressure-head of fuel above it´.
He was an unforgettable character -- a laugh a minute, expecially when you forgot to switch off
the petrol when the engine stopped ...
It was the high probability of the device causing a fire that prevented full scale production.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: or water cooling   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Here's an early water cooler - but with air-cooled head!?

Fuel injection or Ram air.... April11024
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: W/C Barrel A/C Head...!   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 4:45 am

In my opinion there is not the same necessity to water cool the head in a two-stroke engine as there is
in 4-stroke motor. As long as the air path is adequate the finning should be sufficient. In a 4-stroke
head you have the effect of a very hot area (exhaust port) and cold area (intake port)close together
within the mass of the head whereas with the two-stroke, air-cooled head, the `cool´-air first comes
up to the hottest part of the head (first) and flows thro´ the fins to the cooler part last thus optimising
the balance of temperature difference across the cylinder head..
The Andy Boyle Special with 250 Alpha `Works´ engine had air-cooled head and water-cooled barrel
and was as quick or quicker than a Greeves Silverstone. I think the reason was the head being out of
the water-cooling system the control of barrel-distortion was facilitated easier with more simple and
clever waterways. If I´d not been so selfish and accepted a fantastic job -- with enormous promotion
in Montreal -- the ABS might have become a fully developed racer. As it is The Andy Boyle GP5 -- based
on the ABS original data has done very well recently....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel injection or Ram air....   Fuel injection or Ram air.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel injection or Ram air....
Page 1 of 1