BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pre season Testing!!

Go down 
+3
Derek
ROBBIE
mjpowell
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Mike / Alan

Thanks for your sugestions. I am slowly working through them. I have fabricated a 10mm rubber spacer and tweeked the external breather pipe that may have been kinked to the extent it was either fully or partially blocked.

Re Clutch. Not sure what the slots do, other than assist distortion - perhaps that's the trick.... Will put some slots in the drive plates. FS is an Anglo Saxon technical term in which the S stands for strong ! Shocked

The existing 9 springs, 25mm long, compress at a rate of about 19 Newtons per mm. Compressing these by 5mm generates about 0.85 tonne compression on the plates. The new springs are rated at 29 Newtons per mm and this will apply about 1.3 tonnes. Will I now need a beefed up cable???? Alan has suggested the back plate may not be in contact with the base of the clutch - good point - will investigate.

Incidently 002 sounded as if it was going places before the float chamber emptied and the clutch slipped.

We shall persevere....

Chris
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 am

What does the 'F' stand for Chris ?

I've heard of 'FT' for tight so know where your coming from....
Think you will need a beefed up left hand?!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 am

Hi Mike

What does "Beefed up left hand" mean

sounds like your asking if he's having a wonk, or are you talking of the drive side outrigger bearing that was missing from his bike at cadwell, or some other thing that he needs that we should know about,

Blimey if he has one of these, how much power are you getting Chriss. ?

Mike please elabourate

Derek
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 am

Beefed up left hand means - a more musclular left hand than previous....

If anything is missing off Chris's better blame Aiden?

He should have an outrigger bearing on his Gearbox mainshaft ... common mod on a bantam... any bantams passing through my lincoln depot have them... Mine x2, Chris 002, Jimmy's now Snowy's 009 but thats a whole new subject..

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 pm

That's at the crank according to mota
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 am

Ian I make that 25.2 and 23.4 at the back wheel then? Sounds about right to me...
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 am

Been testing again on 001 (old bike derek!) my 18.3bhp from last October 'post season' session is now a slightly more healthy 21.4bhp - happy days are here again... hopefully....

Still need a another 2bhp to be up with Ians Air-cooled though?? Or do I need my bike to be 2kg lighter??

Mike
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 4:52 am

Good evening chaps,
my pre season testing has gone well so far.to start i hope to have better luck with the water cooled ex Carl Coombs bike than i have had before.
I have been right through the motor and made a few small detail changes after the disaster meeting i had at Anglesey in 2009 last time it was out.
Some of the problem has been horrific carburation via the mikuni tmx.Carl was trying to use this on the new motor that Tom did for him as i think his original set up was with a lectron.
i could not get it to work so be warned (cost me 2 expensive engine failures)
Anyway thats now in the bin and of to the rolling road i have been with the good old MKII Amal (Brians Whites favourite)
The Bike Performed well and i have got a good base carb setting.
gearbox all good & no clutch slip so as Mike said happy days.
No horrible leaks water or oil either.
so fingers crossed for friday.
just to let you mathematicians know i cannot disclose my numbers as i dont have any.i was on the dyno for free (What are mates for) Very Happy

Cheers Nick
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 am

Hi Nick sorry dont buy it "we all agree" we dont believe you " you been on the dyno and have no figures" ??

Nick - you must have some figures's come-on "dont be bashfull",

Colin told me he had 19 out of it in its hey day, when he won the championship on it, so I recon he only really had max 16.5/17.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 am

straight up Derek .no figures at all.what i can tell you is that the motor feels completely
different pulls well under load seems very peaky though.I will talk to you about the carb issues on friday and see what you think on the theory that Alan has come up with.
see you Friday mate.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:11 am

What happened at Mallory then?

Those that went?

how did it go?

Any diasters or flyers....

I'm off on Wed next to Mallory to test and check...
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:34 am

Its been a few years since I been to Mallory with a bike but to answer your quetsions my bike was great, then would not pull above 6500 rpm on track it all seemed fine until we got on the track It seems really rich and could not pull through, I did get it going above this it was fine, I had a few problems learning how to jet the new carb -mikuni though - not easy learning to learn again @49.

Micky Nash came over and helpped me for a while, with the usual southern humor, I'm sad to say, dont think he will ever return to this class !, he assisted helping with jetting, along with Alan who was amazed as to how far down we had to come go get it to
carburate, before we realised the power jets was not screwing all the way down on its seat, meaning the fuel could have been by-passing it, Tom Miller and peter styles came passed at this point and stayed briefly, joined in with mick talking about mikuni, amal, and lectrons, I was of course gleening as much info as possible while these two bantered on, anyway what I had forgot was I had the main jet in the socket that was in the wrench in my hand, now while walking round lestening to these pair, it must have come out. oops!, we could not find it anywere, so I blaimed Tom's as he had gone, beside I had just kindley and politly told another to give me half an hour while I sorted it out. Anyway I am going to learn from this" ? THERE ISN'T GOING TO be a next time going to have a sign made " working on my bike! Please come back in half hour for a cup of tea" ,mind you" it is difficult, I was having such a great time, but by not concentrating on the job in hand, I could put myself at risk, I even put the carb back on the bike without putting the bowel drain plug back in ? tut tut - I only spotted this when clearing away the tools, I MUST GET A BETTER METHOD FOR DOING JOBS like this, ! I think the old advice is correct "never talk to anyone when your busy working on the bike" ?.

I remeber a certain racer who use to be famouse for being rude to people standing watching him or interupting him for one such quote was "how are you today ''?? sir his reply was of couse and abruptly "GO AWAY" after this experience, I have to use the same stratergy, but I will of course be polite.

I was telling diane after the meeting about this issues she said its down to "your old age" ?? ha! so in future when working on my bike pleas dont talk to me, please wait till I have finished or come back later, I like talking about bikes but not when I'M WORKING ON THEM.

We alos had a small clutch issue to deal with on the push rod ? but a good day in all.

FOR THE RECORD I FELT I WAS BY FAR THE FASTEST " WAIT FOR IT " in the paddock ? lol!

Rob was flying so was Michael not sure on the others. I would like to know who is doing the practice day write up as I, looking forwards to hearing how all the other got on and how many there, ? .

The big news from me is I have a new number moving forwards, been after this for some time now ! anyway through kind offers and some manouvering I have managed to secure it.

regards Derek
Back to top Go down
phil betty

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 am

I had a good day after a poor start (forgot to take carb cap off josie before trying to start her and flooded her right up). Did one session on josie, which was fine, and spent the rest of the day running in the LC and myself. Had a little squirt in the last session and it felt really good. Looking forward to the new season!
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: mallory test day    Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi all
What a great day on Friday only two off all day well done all rides in B H R making the marshals a easy day for a change. Any way track good nice tarmac some bumps out of gerrards not that bad.
Weather was great best ever weather I known at a B H R test day. In the tom stable we had very good results
Ian scutt’s water cooled was going very very very well you could tell by the smile on he's face.
Tom snow had through problems but with tom miller peter styles and roger at the helm thinks was soon sorted and by the end of the day he was flying think he will be A very strong contender for the championship
Michael brown (crasher) on the new SMS 010 frame far from finished but was very pleased with he’s performing bike he’s words to me was the bike wants to go faster than I do affraid
As for me very happy with bike have sorted coming out of corners fun that Surprised lol!
Just got to try and make it pretty now
Tom was so happy going home with no engines to rebuild after blowing up
So Tom will have time to do some work on he’s new sprint engine watch out
Brian
The only disappointment for me was no new builds out are there going to be any on the track this year???
Nice to see Andy checkley and Nick bramley back out on the track
Well done Derek back out on the track did you note I did not wave this time when I past you down the straight Derek lol!
Also Phil betty was going very well on the water cooled has a fare turn of speed down the straight
And last of all nice to see Alan brown in the paddock looking very well. Well done Alan
Must be hard for you being at a meeting and not on the track
That’s all for now got work on the bikes
P.S Alan. crasher sends he’s love
Back to top Go down
Nick B

Nick B

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 5:46 am

Evening everybody,
Very good day for me overall on friday .As Robbie said blinding on the weather front nice to see most of us out a few names missing Powell ,Frayne, Redhead, Bennion & Cook from the usual runners hope to see you at the first meeting guys.
Nice to see Carl and his dad ,he was loving his old bike and i think could be tempted back in the future .
Early runs for me went well the best i have had the water cooled going. had a few issues but hope that i have sorted things.
Tom ,Brain and now Alan were of great Assistance to all so thanks to them.

Cheers Nick Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 5:51 am

My pre-season testing is done, went to Mallory last wednesday happy with 001 performance.. 003 still needs sorting and more testing post Mallory looking forward to easter monday!!

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre season Testing!!   Pre season Testing!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pre season Testing!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2