BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Old hand , new member

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Swindon Kid

Swindon Kid

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-22

Old hand , new member Empty
PostSubject: Old hand , new member   Old hand , new member Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

Hi everyone
I stumbled on this website by accident when searching google for an old racing partner Dave Saltwell. My racing career started in 1978 when the Honda 125 GP series came to the UK. I worked for a dealer in Leicester called Ken Ives as parts manager. Ken Ives sponsored me for 3 years and my first club was the Bantam Racing club and I still have my membership card from 78,79 and 80.

Imagine my suprise when I saw the uploaded race programmes on this site with my name in!

I also was a member of the BFRC ? I think it was although I don't think it still exists.

I was entered in the open 125 category and to my suprise took a 3rd and 5th at my first meeting at Cadwell as a complete race novice. I still have my boots and leathers from those days although the boots are fine, the leathers are a bit tight!

I recenly had the chance to ride a current GP125 at Donnington courtesy of Niall MacKensie's son Taylor. Quite a difference from 1978 when the MT125 topped at about 26bhp and 125 mph, and MacKenzies GP 125 tops 140ish and is 45bhp. Wish I was 40 years younger!!

Unfortunatly because I was riding at the time I didn't get any photos of myself during the 1978/9 seasons so if anyone has old albums my bike was orange and pink quartered like a battenberg cake. Availability of any pics from that period would make a grown man cry!

Hope this is of interest, it makes my day to recall it all,
Safe riding, shiny side up, Keith Wicks
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Old hand , new member   Old hand , new member Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Keith welcome to the forum.
How did you get on in your search for "Salty" I know him quite well, we went to school together and he doesn't live to far from me although I haven't seen him for a while.
What a coincidence that I happened to be talking about him tonight to a biker in my local. About how he won the British 125 title on a Bultaco due to consistency as apposed to notching up lots of wins. As he said at the time "you've got to be in it to win it"
Back to top Go down
Swindon Kid

Swindon Kid

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Hi Ned   Old hand , new member Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks for your response Ned, I haven't made any further efforts to contact DS, the last I remember was Joy Chama I think. In any case he probably won't remember me. Must say all this makes me think it might be nice to go to a meeting sometime just for old times sake.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old hand , new member   Old hand , new member Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old hand , new member
Page 1 of 1