BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

a new member and new builder plus progress so far

Go down 
+20
mm_tribsa
joe93
Pete Tuke
Mick Potter
Ned
bkirkwood
Derek
les2012
Jimmie
ptibbitt125
john bass
alan
johnSbantam
Edward Pickering
mjpowell
mscutt
ted
tonydavis
ROBBIE
dansofield550
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
dansofield550

dansofield550

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2011-10-23

a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 pm

thanks for that alan, i'll try and get a later hub, good job i didnt buy a rim for it!

cant see any on ebay though,
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 12:46 am

just wondered , are the early hubs no good because of the weak sprocket mounting? or is there other reasons too?
Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 1:31 am

Hi the later hubs have a flange that centres the spocket, as well as being cast and a lot stronger
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 1:48 am

Yes John - got my number of spokes wrong way round.

Thanks for your correction...

Mike
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Safety by Alan...   a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:55 am

Alan mentioning "...for your saftey ..." reminded of the Wobbly mishap at Woodlands, Cadwell... It was the FRONT hub in Colin Aldridge´s case.

Might be useful to mention that Colin skimmed the brake drum and -- in my opinion -- overtightened the spokes. Maybe I was at fault in boasting of rebuilding my own wheels that had him do his own. Before practice I´d tapped the spokes and said they seemed excessively tight... The drum just disintergrated at Barn corner & with Colin´s luck he ended up in a pile of hay.

Boring nostalgia --- Yaaaawwwwnnnn!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 7:48 am

glad i was told , its good to be told , i , as a new comer need guidance for this sort of thing, maybe the rules could be re-worded to say bantam hub to used and 40 hole only,

i have a 17" morad rim on the front , and need a back rim, would a 2.5 rear be okay with a 2.15 or should i really have a 3 on the back?
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Rear sprocket retaining bolts   a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Danny,

On Page 2 I think Alan mentioned that we use 1/4" BSF cap head screws. I think this is incorrect, as I have always used 1/4" UNC - far cheaper and more readily available I would have thought.

All the best with the project

Pete
Back to top Go down
alan
Admin
alan

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:40 am

Pete is correct,
But what I did is run a 1/4 bsf tap down the threads, then if you accidently in future cross thread at some time, then you can run a 6mm metric down it and save the day!
Regards,
Alan
Back to top Go down
https://bsabantamracing.editboard.com
tonydavis

tonydavis

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 2:05 am

alan wrote:
Pete is correct,
But what I did is run a 1/4 bsf tap down the threads, then if you accidently in future cross thread at some time, then you can run a 6mm metric down it and save the day!
Regards,
Alan

was gonna say 1/4 bsf myself but the you've reminded me where the tapping out tip came from Very Happy how you keeping Alan? see you sometime next season mate Wink
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 9:28 am

Dano

BSA Bantam rear hub D7 on ebay ....
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 am

yeah spotted that already, i've also seen a hub that has spokes that are the same length on both sides , are these hubs any good for me? or is the odd sided type what i need?
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 6:31 am

Dan the D7 hub on ebay is what you want.. 40 spoke long and short.

You may of come across a D10/14 sports, full width hub .. 40 spoke all short.
Look nice but have the same small brake, and the hub just adds to your
unsprung weight.

Mike
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:52 pm

finally got a correct hub, finished modifying the frame and found a seat, got the rear brake and gear change sorted although its not fitted in the pictures .

need some spokes now, never bought spokes before, anyone have the sizes i need to ask for ? its a 17" rim , are just galv spokes okay?
a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00221-20111214-1329
a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00223-20111214-1331

a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00222-20111214-1330
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 am

whats the general thinking on piston to cylinder clearance ? i'm using the iron barrel and suzuki 185 piston i've seen between 0.004" and 0.002" i have a wiseco piston by the way,

also , on the pictures of tom snows engine the transfer ports have a bridging part, is this necessary on an iron barrel, the width of mine doesn't look like it'll be needed. im guessing they are to keep the rings from snagging

thanks in advance . dan
Back to top Go down
mscutt

mscutt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 9:26 am

Hi Dan

assuming you have a standard 64mm wiseco suzuki piston I would suggest you bore and hone the cylinder to 64.00mm

You will then have the clearances designed by the piston manufacturer.

As it is a forged piston it would not be a good idea to use a larger bore size as the cold clearances would be on the large side.

Hopefully when hot it will be round and a good fit but there's only one way to find out !

On your iron barrel you will not need to bridge the transfers as port widths can be around 66% of the bore diameter without needing a bridge providing they are well rounded.

Mick
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:41 am

thanks mick, all done now, just matching the posts in the crank case, then onto the head.
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

notice that most bantams are running silencers, whats the db limit i should be aiming for?
Back to top Go down
ROBBIE

ROBBIE

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2006-12-25

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi
105 db is max buy try and aim for about 98 99 db that's what my bike is
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:15 am

thanks robbie, not sure about the buy bit! , too tight for that ! made one instead , found a lot of drawings and dimensions on the forum and worked out an average between them all ,and came across an exhaust from a gilera , a bit of cutting and sticking back together i wound up with this .......a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00231-20120118-1729
a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00230-20120118-1728

not very good pictures , i took them on the phone
Back to top Go down
Jimmie

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2011-07-25

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 am

Nice job. Any possibility of photos from other side? Did you fab the expansion box or graft an existing one on to the header pipe?
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 7:00 pm

heres some from the other side,

a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00234-20120119-0743
a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 IMG00232-20120119-0741-1
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Neato!   a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Neato! That exhaust pipe looks really good! Congratulation!!
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 3:01 am

i've been modifying the clutch basket, just giving it a trial fitting and i have movement in and out (end float) of the basket when the nut
is tightened up , this is with out the plates and springs etc, is this correct ?

i have the early type with bronze thrust bush by the way.
thanks dan
Back to top Go down
dansofield550

dansofield550

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 pm

i've converted the centre bearing of the clutch to a roller bearing and made new thrust washers and
the play has all gone now, im guessing its not ment to have 0.005" play!

turning my attention to the springs now, it seems a lot put extra springs in(9) this seems an
easy mod but , would it not be easier to just up the
poundage of the 6 already there?

Back to top Go down
ted

ted

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:41 pm

The bike looks real good you are making a lot of progress. I will give MY opinion on your quires, the clutch will seen lose when you have on plates & springs in. The conversion to ball race sounds like it could be OK but it is not clear whether you have made the top hat bush or the thrust washer into a ball. I use a needle roller for thrust and keep the bronze top hat. It is also worth remembering the clutch gets very very HOT!!!!!!!!!! Don’t let me comments slow you down and you are welcome at the pub.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a new member and new builder plus progress so far    a new member and new builder plus progress so far  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a new member and new builder plus progress so far
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next