BSA Bantam Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BSA Bantam Racing

Bantam Racing Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bantam Archive...

Go down 
+12
SteveF
ROBBIE
Mick Jones
bennion
tonydavis
mm_tribsa
Tim Cornish
Derek
Edward Pickering
johnSbantam
Sport-Pics
mjpowell
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mjpowell

mjpowell

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Ned - you're right!

I know the piccy was taken at the Oct 80 meeting as Rick(back row) still had his novice jacket on (the only time at Lydden).

And I have from the Bantam Archive the clip from MCN -
Headline - Mikes Back -

Where it goes on to say that Mick Scutt came out of retirement to race for the new 'Fred Lauchbury' trophy. As we know Mick won the first running of the trophy. Heats ... yes heats(for a bantam race) were won by George Farenden and Rick Powell.

Mick also had 3 seconds to Pete Styles that day... Roger Louis must of lent the bike/ride all day as he was not in any results....

P.S. Eastern centre won the team race -team -
1st Scutt, Styles, Paul.
2nd South East - Sawer, Gillingham, Bridges.
3rd Lincolnshire - Laver, Wales, Chambers.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm

One from the distant past ....

But who's the champion? what year?

Back it the days when you had a bantam race bike at the Dinner and Dance

And replica's looks like the trophy you won!?

Bantam Archive... - Page 2 April11026
Back to top Go down
Ned

Ned

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 1:46 am

Believe me Mike I remember that 1st Fred Lauchbury trophy race well. Going to the start line I was convinced I would win it and considered "Sticky the only one who could offer me any real opposition. Approaching "devils elbow" on the first lap I was in third place. I knew I could catch the two guys in front but I was determined to do it and get a clear track ahead before "sticky" could get in contention. The consequences were - Broad side - High side = Broken collar bone. And the rest as they say is history.
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 am

Black and White pic was:-

Bantam Champion Roy Bacon (the very first recipiant!!)

Back to top Go down
Mick Jones

Mick Jones

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:06 am

He looks like he took the pre season dieting a bit serious, lol.
Back to top Go down
bennion

bennion

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2006-12-23

PostSubject: Les Eggs BRC SE Centre archive   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 am

Mike lent me a large brown envelope yesterday, the contents of which I recon come pretty close to the Holy Grail....

What a fantastic collection of photos, press cuttings and centre news going right back to the oriigin of the Bantam Racing Club. Even the August 1971 MCN article that convinced a just turned 18 Bennion that Bantam racing was the way to go. I've scanned most of it today and fired it off to Alan. The pages are a little larger than A3 size, so unfortunately some edges are missing on the scans - but the main drift is all there... Enjoy.

Chris
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mjpowell

mjpowell

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 6:38 am

Just been speaking to Les Eggs he assures me the man in the Tibbitts leathers on the Lydden grid is infact - Peter Tibbitts!!

Peter can you confirm ?
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: URGENT   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 am

mike see your on line check your PM URGENT
Back to top Go down
chrisgladman

chrisgladman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Sport-Pics wrote:
Brian White?

Rusty

The gent himself John Sawer
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2006-12-06

PostSubject: Could be Scrooge...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 4:37 am

Could be JS who we, the committee, referred to as Scrooge because he was brilliant at his job of getting money out of sneaky,  stingy, tight-fisted club-members some of whom who wrote cheques that bounced to the roof of The Hoop & Grapes, Holborn where a thin, young lad with a wild mop of hair served us beer.... It was  Peter [Tibbits], of course ....  

The bike looks very long. It felt long when it and John were sitting on me and Icarus-One at Llandow. We came together on Bottom Bend and crashed with me and Icarus-One underneath. The marshall that paid us attention called his mate to come and look at how the two bikes -- with me in between -- were locked together. Before skirts, of course otherwise we´d have bounced off each other´s fairings....  

John Sawer was a stalwart of the committee and the club was in really good shape in those days -- sad that he and the club passed away....

... but the memories live on.............. ............

JayBee...
Back to top Go down
http://t-online.de
chrisgladman

chrisgladman

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 6:35 am

john bass wrote:
Could be JS who we, the committee, referred to as Scrooge because he was brilliant at his job of getting money out of sneaky,  stingy, tight-fisted club-members some of whom who wrote cheques that bounced to the roof of The Hoop & Grapes, Holborn where a thin, young lad with a wild mop of hair served us beer.... It was  Peter [Tibbits], of course ....  

The bike looks very long. It felt long when it and John were sitting on me and Icarus-One at Llandow. We came together on Bottom Bend and crashed with me and Icarus-One underneath. The marshall that paid us attention called his mate to come and look at how the two bikes -- with me in between -- were locked together. Before skirts, of course otherwise we´d have bounced off each other´s fairings....  

John Sawer was a stalwart of the committee and the club was in really good shape  in those days -- sad that he and the club passed away....

... but the memories live on.............. ............

JayBee...

Defo is him, remember it like yesterday. "SUDONIM" as he always wrote in the news letters Always a welcome smile at the SE meetings.
Back to top Go down
ptibbitt125

ptibbitt125

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2006-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 9:01 pm

mjpowell wrote:
Just been speaking to Les Eggs he assures me the man in the Tibbitts leathers on the Lydden grid is infact  - Peter Tibbitts!!

Peter can you confirm ?

No Mike, No 22 is Mick Bridges, I'm surprised Les didn't get the id of the fiorst pic - AKA known as Scrooge. Les now has his machine!
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: They all seem confused ...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 1:22 am

Peter -- how are you then? Nicely retired with the feet up....

I reckon they all seem confused ... I didn´t see a pic of you in leathers at Lydden... But it was you-- with long hair -- at the Hoop & Grapes.

Ey oop! Something´s wrong, the pockets oughtn´t to be at the back...

Just realised my trousers are on back-to front --

-- excuse me.....
Back to top Go down
john bass

john bass

PostSubject: Who remembers...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 1:30 am

Who remembers Roy bacon in his short wellies and waterproofed, poaching jacket taking part in what they called a Parade at Snetteron ...?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bantam Archive...   Bantam Archive... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bantam Archive...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2